Effective date: September 30, 2016
What Information Does Zocdoc Collect?
Information You Provide to Us:
We receive and store any information you knowingly provide to us. For example, if you are an employee and choose “I want an Unsick Day,” you will be asked to provide your work email, and may also opt to provide your full name, personal email and zip code. If you are an employer and choose to “I want to give an Unsick Day” you may be asked to provide your full name, title, work email, number of employees and zip code. Provision of certain personal information may be required to take advantage of some of our features.
We may communicate with you if you’ve provided us the means to do so. For example, if you’ve given us your email address, we may email you about your use of the Site. Also, we may receive a confirmation when you open an email from us. This confirmation helps us make our communications with you more interesting and improve the Site. If you do not want to receive promotional communications from us, you may unsubscribe using the unsubscribe link in such emails.
Information Collected Automatically
Whenever you interact with the Site, we automatically receive and record certain information described in further detail below. We may use these tools in order to operate and improve the Site, and to advertise to, and to better understand users:
- Web Beacons: “Web Beacons” (a.k.a. clear GIFs or pixel tags) are tiny graphic image files embedded in a web page or email that may be used to collect information about the use of the Site, the websites of selected advertisers and the emails, special promotions or newsletters that we send. The information collected by Web Beacons allows us to analyze how many people are using the Site, using selected publishers’ websites or opening emails, and for what purpose, and also allows us to enhance our interest-based advertising (discussed further below).
- Website Analytics: We may use third-party website analytics services in connection with the Site, including, for example, to register mouse clicks, mouse movements, scrolling activity and text typed into the Site. We use the information collected from these services to help make the Site easier to use and as otherwise set forth below. These website analytics services generally do not collect Personal Information unless you voluntarily provide it and generally do not track your browsing habits across websites that do not use their services.
- Mobile Device Identifiers: As with other Tracking Tools, mobile device identifiers help Zocdoc learn more about our users’ demographics and internet behaviors. Mobile device identifiers are data stored on mobile devices that may track mobile device and data and activities occurring on and through it, as well as the applications installed on it. Mobile device identifiers enable collection of Personal Information (such as media access control, address and location) and Traffic Data.
- Cross Device Matching: To determine if users have interacted with content across multiple devices and to match such devices, we may work with partners who analyze device activity data and/or rely on your information (including demographic, geographic and interest-based data). To supplement this analysis, we may also provide de-identified data these partners. Based on this data, we may then display targeted advertisements across devices that we believe are associated or use this data to further analyze usage of the Site across devices.
We may use a type of advertising commonly known as interest-based or online behavioral advertising. This means that some of our partners use Tracking Tools to display Zocdoc ads on other websites or services based on information about your use of the Site or your interests (as inferred from online activity). Such partners may include third-party service providers, advertisers, advertising networks or platforms, and agencies. Other Tracking Tools used by our partners may collect information when you use the Site, such as IP address, mobile device ID, operating system, browser, web page interactions, geographic location and demographic information, such as gender and age range. These Tracking Tools help Zocdoc learn more about our users’ demographics and internet behaviors.
Options for Opting Out of Cookies and Mobile Device Identifiers
Some web browsers (including some mobile web browsers) allow you to reject Cookies or to alert you when a Cookie is placed on your computer, tablet or mobile device. You may be able to reject mobile device identifiers by activating the appropriate setting on your mobile device. Although you are not required to accept Zocdoc’s Cookies or mobile device identifiers, if you block or reject them, you may not have access to all features available through the Site.
You may opt out of receiving certain Cookies and certain trackers by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) opt out page or the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) consumer opt-out page or by installing the DAA’s AppChoice app (for iOS; for Android) on your mobile computing device. When you use these opt-out features, an “opt-out” Cookie will be placed on your computer, tablet or mobile computing device indicating that you do not want to receive interest-based advertising from NAI or DAA member companies. If you delete Cookies on your computer, tablet or mobile computing device, you may need to opt out again. For information about how to opt out of interest-based advertising on mobile devices, please visit http://www.applicationprivacy.org/expressing-your-behavioral-advertising-choices-on-a-mobile-device. You will need to opt out of each browser and device for which you desire to apply these opt-out features.
Please note that even after opting out of interest-based advertising, you may still see Zocdoc advertisements that are not interest-based (i.e., not targeted toward you). Also, opting out does not mean that Zocdoc is no longer using Tracking Tools — Zocdoc still may collect information about your use of the Site even after you have opted out of interest-based advertisements and may still serve advertisements to you via the Site based on information it collects via the Site.
How Will Zocdoc Use Personal Information?
We use information, including Personal Information, to operate and improve the Site, to develop new services, and to advertise (for example, to display Zocdoc ads on other websites). Such use may include:
- Providing you with the products, services and information you request;
- Responding to correspondence that we receive from you, or contacting you when necessary or requested;
- Providing, maintaining, administering or expanding the Site, performing business analyses, or for other internal purposes to support, improve or enhance our business, the Site, and other products and services we offer;
- Customizing or tailoring your experience of the Site;
- Notifying you about certain resources or services we think you may be interested in learning more about;
- Sending you information about Zocdoc or our products or services, or sending emails and other communications that display content that we think will interest you and according to your preferences;
- Showing you advertisements, including interest-based or online behavioral advertising;
- Using statistical information that we collect in any way permitted by law, including from third parties in connection with their commercial and marketing efforts; and
- Fulfilling our legally required obligations, such as preventing, detecting and investigating security incidents and potentially illegal or prohibited activities.
What Choices Do I Have?
You can always opt not to disclose information to us, but keep in mind some information may be needed to take advantage of some of our features. Also, you can opt out of Cookies and Mobile Device Identifiers as described above.
Will Zocdoc Share Any of the Personal Information It Receives?
We do not rent or sell your Personal Information in personally identifiable form to anyone. We may share your Personal Information with third parties as described in this section:
Information that’s been de-identified: We may de-identify your Personal Information so that you are not identified as an individual, and provide that information to our partners. If you request an “Unsick Day” through the Site, we will notify your employer that an employee requested an “Unsick Day” but will not reveal any of your Personal Information to your employer. We may also provide aggregate usage information to our partners (or allow partners to collect that information from you), who may use such information to understand how often and in what ways people use the Site, so that they, too, can provide you with an optimal online experience. However, we never disclose aggregate usage or de-identified information to a partner (or allow a partner to collect such information) in a manner that would identify you as an individual person.
Business Partners: In certain situations, other businesses and third party websites may provide products or services to you through or in connection with the Site (either alone or jointly with us). You can recognize when a business partner is associated with such a transaction or service, and we will share your Personal Information with that business partner only to the extent that it is related to such transaction or service. We have no control over the policies and practices of third party websites or businesses as to privacy or anything else, so if you choose to take part in any transaction or service relating to another business, please review all such business’ or websites’ policies.
Agents: We employ other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and need to share your information with them to provide products or services to you. Unless we tell you differently, our agents do not have any right to use the Personal Information we share with them beyond what is necessary to assist us.
Business Transfers: We may choose to buy or sell assets, and may share and/or transfer customer information in connection with the evaluation of and entry into such transactions. Also, if we (or our assets) are acquired, or if we go out of business, enter bankruptcy, or go through some other change of control, Personal Information could be one of the assets transferred to or acquired by a third party.
Is Personal Information About Me Secure?
We endeavor to protect the privacy of your Personal Information we hold in our records, but unfortunately, we cannot guarantee complete security. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information at any time.
We store and process your information on our servers in the United States and abroad. We maintain industry standard backup and archival systems.
Although we make good faith efforts to store Personal Information in a secure operating environment that is not open to the public, we do not and cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information. If at any time during or after our relationship we believe that the security of your Personal Information may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we will endeavor to notify you as promptly as possible under the circumstances. If we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail to the most recent e-mail address you have provided us. If you receive a notice from us, you can print it to retain a copy of it. To receive these notices, you must check your e-mail account using your computer or mobile device and email application software. You consent to our use of e-mail as a means of such notification. If you prefer for us to use the U.S. Postal Service to notify you in this situation, please e-mail us at Privacy-Notice@zocdoc.com. Please include your address when you submit your request. You can make this election any time, and it will apply to notifications we make after a reasonable time thereafter for us to process your request. You may also use this e-mail address to request a print copy, at no charge, of an electronic notice we have sent to you regarding a compromise of your Personal Information.
What Personal Information Can I Access?
If you have any questions about viewing or updating information we have on file about you, please contact us at Privacy@zocdoc.com. You may be able to add, update, or delete information, however when you update information, we may maintain a copy of the unrevised information in our records.
What If I Have Questions About This Policy?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding our privacy policies, please send us a detailed message to Privacy@zocdoc.com, and we will try to resolve your concerns.